Thursday, January 26, 2012

Spice Cake

Three days ago: Amber and I were grocery shopping at Buylow and ran into Steven Rodgers (#21). It was pretty cool. Just to make sure it was actually him, I asked him if he played basketball. He hesitantly replied yes (I think he was afraid we would attack him like crazy fans or something...ok so we were kinda staring at him...He's really tall...and plays basketball for BYU!(who isn't a big fan?)...but I think I held my composure pretty well if I do say so myself). Then I asked him if he was Steven Rodgers and he said yes again and asked if we went to BYU. Amber cut in at this moment and replied that we did and we were big fans that went to all the games. (oh, Dustin we also told him that we have an awesome brother-in-law who's a big BYU fan) We then explained how we were from Virginia and were excited for the game against VT and we were really hoping BYU would win. He said, "I'll see what I can do"...well, I guess he kept his word because...

BYU BEAT VT yesterday!!! It was so intense. I ended up coming home an hour early from campus in order to watch the last half of the game. But sadly I couldn't figure out how to get it on ESPN3 for free on my computer. The problem was I didn't know the apartment complex's internet, the login, and the password. So, I ended up listening to the game from itunes until I had a great idea! I called Brooke and told her to skype me the game from our home computer back in Virginia. This actually worked quite well...the picture was a little blurry but it was better than nothing. Anyways, so I'm sitting on the couch in my apartment watching the game and going crazy while Amy and Weston are in the kitchen eating dinner just laughing at me. I may have let out a few squeals...but who wouldn't with a game that close?

Anyways, it was fun to see us beat the college that lots of my high school friends go to. I think I've earned some bragging rights :)

Here's another Christmas Eve recipe. For this cake I had a hard time deciding what icing to put on the top because my family is so picky. I ended doing half peanut butter and half cream cheese. I liked the cream cheese better.


Spice Cake


Ingredients:
1/2 cup white whole wheat flour 
1 tsp baking powder
2 T sugar
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 and 1/2 T honey
2 T skim milk 
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup applesauce
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp ground cloves
optional: raisins, walnuts, pecans, etc.


Directions:1. Combine dry ingredients and mix very well. 
2. In a separate bowl, mix wet ingredients (including applesauce), then pour dry into wet. 
3. Stir until just combined, then pour into a greased pan (I used a mini springform, but a 4×7 would also work), and cook at 350 F for 20-25 minutes, depending on the depth of your dish.
4. Allow to cool for 10 minutes before removing the springform.



Adapted from Chocolate Covered Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment