Sunday, January 1, 2012

Tailor's Vegetable Lasagna

Happy New Year Everyone!! 


Earlier during the fall semester, Tailor invited my apartment over for dinner and served us this amazing veggie lasagna. She sent me the recipe and I've been dying to make it! Since I've had plenty of time at home, I finally got around to it and made it for my family. Mine turned out pretty good, but Tailor's was definitely better!
Veggie Lasagna
Ingredients:
10 ounces, Whole Wheat Lasagna Noodles
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1 whole Medium Onion
4 cloves Garlic
1 whole Red Bell Pepper, Diced (I used green b/c I didn't have a red)
24 ounces, weight White Mushrooms, Chopped
4 whole Squash (yellow or Zucchini), Diced
1 can (28 Ounce) Whole Tomatoes
½ cup water
¼ cups Fresh Parsley, Chopped (more To Taste)
Freshly Ground Black Pepper
1/2 Teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
15 ounces, weight Ricotta Cheese
2 whole Eggs
½ cups Grated Parmesan
Freshly Ground Black Pepper
1 pound Thinly Sliced Mozzarella Cheese (I used shredded)
Extra Parmesan Cheese, For Sprinkling



Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Cook noodles according to package directions. Drain and lay flat on a sheet of aluminum foil.
3. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and garlic and cook for a minute. Add diced red peppers and saute for another minute or so. Add squash and mushrooms and cook for a few minutes. Pour in water, add salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes, and stir.
4. Pour in tomatoes. Use hands to squeeze/crush them. Stir to combine and let simmer for 20 minutes or so. Stir in chopped parsley.
5. In a separate bowl, combine ricotta, eggs, Parmesan cheese, and pepper.
6. To assemble, spread a little of the vegetable/tomato sauce in a lasagna pan. Layer four cooked noodles in the pan, slightly overlapping them if necessary. Spread 1/3 of the ricotta mixture on the noodles. Top the ricotta mixture with mozzarella slices. Spoon a little less than 1/3 of the veggie/sauce mixture over the mozzarella.
7. Repeat the layering two more times, ending with a large helping of vegetable sauce and a sprinkling of Parmesan.
8. Bake at 350 degrees, covered in foil, for 20 minutes, then remove foil and continue baking for 5 to 10 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to stand for 10 minutes before cutting into squares and serving.

Thanks again Tailor for sending it to me!! It was so good! Check out her blog here!
 Amber, Dad, and Brooke
 me :)

Adapted from The Pioneer Woman.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you liked it! We need to cook together sometime :)I have some new recipes I want to try!

    ReplyDelete