Friday, June 22, 2012

BBQ Chicken Calzones

Well, I've been busy working this week, doing about 9 hour days. I wake up around 6am and finish  around 4 or 5 in the afternoon. Some days I've been going on 5 hours of sleep because I don't get to bed until 1am, but so far that hasn't affected me in any way. Thank goodness :) Saturday morning will be a nice break, but then I'm back to work in the evening lifeguarding. I'll though working is keeping me very busy, I'm so glad I have these jobs!


BBQ Chicken Calzones

Ingredients
1 pizza dough recipe
1 red onion, thinly sliced
1/2 tablespoon olive oil
1 1/2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 cup of your favorite bbq sauce + more for dipping
4 ounces freshly grated cheddar cheese
4 ounces freshly grated provolone cheesefresh cilantro, if desired

Directions:
1. While dough is rising, heat a skillet over medium-low heat and add olive oil. Toss in onions with a sprinkle of salt, then cover and let caramelize for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.


2. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a bowl, combine chicken with garlic powder and smoked paprika.

3. Roll each ball of dough into a small oval, then fill with a few spoonfuls of bbq sauce, shredded chicken, a handful of caramelized onions and a sprinkle of both cheeses. Toss in cilantro if desired. Drizzle a bit of additional sauce on top, then fold the top over to meet the bottom, tightly sealing the edges. 

4. Poke a few holes in the top with a knife or fork. Place calzones on a non-stick baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes on a pizza stone, or until golden brown.
Adapted from Howsweetreats.


No comments:

Post a Comment