Monday, August 20, 2012

Apple Cider Cinnamon Rolls

I'm loving the beach!!! Check out Amber's blog for photos. I'm sad and excited that I have to leave in 3 days to go back to school :)

These are so dang good! I really want to make them again, but I just haven't gotten around to it.

Apple Cider Cinnamon Rolls
Ingredients:
2 cups white whole wheat flour
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp instant yeast
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup skim milk
1/4 cup apple cider or juice
1/4 cup applesauce 
1 egg


Filling:
3 Tbsp butter, melted
finely chopped peeled tart apples (optional, I omitted) 
brown sugar
finely chopped walnuts (optional, I omitted)
cinnamon

Apple Cider Cream Cheese Frosting (this is the original frosting recipe...mine was different, but I don't remember what I did. When I make it again I will fix this part of the post.)

2 cups apple cider or juice
1 cinnamon stick (3 inches)
1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 cup confectioners' sugar


Directions:
1. In a large bowl, combine white whole wheat flour, 1/4 cup all purpose flour, sugar, yeast and salt. In a small saucepan, heat the milk and apple juice to 120 - 130 degrees. Add to dry ingredients; beat just until moistened. Add egg and applesauce; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining all purpose flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).

2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Add flour as needed. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Roll into a 15-in. x 10-in. rectangle. Spread on some melted butter to within 1/2 in. of edges. Combine the apples, brown sugar, walnuts and cinnamon; sprinkle over butter.

3. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seam to seal. Cut into 12 slices. Place cut side down in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 30 minutes, or until double in size.

4. Bake at 325 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. (Mine took less than 30 mins so check it at 25 just in case). 


For frosting, place cider and cinnamon stick in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil; cook until liquid is reduced to 1/4 cup, about 20 minutes. Discard cinnamon stick; cool cider.
In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Add confectioners' sugar and reduced cider; beat until smooth.

Spread over warm rolls.

Recipe adapted from Instructables. 

No comments:

Post a Comment